Very few LinkedIn users know that you can share, tweet, and email a customized link to a particular document in your LinkedIn profile. How is this valuable, you ask? Let me explain. There are three main reasons you want to leverage this vastly underutilized LinkedIn feature.
1. Using this feature is a great way to add value for your network while showcasing your expertise. If you send a LinkedIn status update or tweet saying “Check out my LinkedIn profile, there are some great documents in there,” you will generate significantly less engagement than if you change your verbiage to: “Feel free to use this Agile project management template I created”. Be specific in your description, provide a customized link – and you are on your way to adding great value for your connections.
2. Using this feature enables you to direct traffic to your profile and to promote your content. Consider this: when you publish an article or a blog post, you know that writing it is not enough, as you will also need to promote it on various social media platforms. So why are you not doing this for the content of your profile? As personal branding pioneer William Aruda explains in his excellent Forbes article, “Your LinkedIn profile becomes your personal brand history – a repository of your successes.” Doesn’t it make a lot of sense to promote this personal brand history at least as much as your blog posts?
3. Using this feature allows you to give your contacts direct access to a particular document of interest to them. How many times did someone in your network ask you for a template or a presentation of yours only to have you email them the file, clogging their already overflowing inbox? Or to hear you say: “Oh, it’s posted in my LinkedIn Profile – check it out”? Don’t inconvenience your contacts and don’t waste their time – email them a link to the exact document they need instead.
Now that we covered the reasons for utilizing this LinkedIn feature, let’s see how to use it. It’s easy! Below are a few simple steps you need to take in order to share a customized link:
- Go to your LinkedIn profile.
- Open the document you want to share.
- On the right hand side of the screen, you will see a grey bar that displays your Picture, Name and Headline and provides 3 options: ‘Like’, ‘Comment’ and ‘Share Link’.
- Click on ‘Share Link’. A window with a shortened link to the document will open.
- Copy the link and share.
Enjoy this new way to add value for your network and to build your brand!